Cancer Focus NI is here to help you improve your health and support you and your family when you’re affected by cancer. Cancer Focus is building a team of enthusiastic individuals to spread the word about our work throughout the province. To ensure that if anyone in their local community faces a diagnosis of cancer they know they can turn to Cancer Focus NI for professional advice, guidance and access to our free care services.
Family Support Service Assistant
Our Family Support Service provides help to families where there is a significant adult with a cancer diagnosis. An essential part of that help is to support the children through a difficult and scary time in their lives through talking and creative play. This voluntary role assists the Family Support Worker with the smooth running of our children’s groups, Bereavement projects and Parents Support evenings. Takes place in Junction Community Building, Dungannon on the first Wednesday of every month from 6pm-9.30pm.
- To help set up the rooms and prepare the activities for the children
- To take part in the group on all levels to support the children – holding discussions/ role play etc
- To provide a supportive and welcoming environment for children and adults, listening to their concerns and responding appropriately
- To help with arts and crafts
- To play with the children
- To clear up after activities and refreshments
Leaflet Distributor Volunteer
- identify suitable locations
- obtain permission and deliver supplies of various leaflets and posters to help promote the work and activities of the charity
- maintain current outlets and identify potential new collection box sites
- pick up boxes when full (normally on a 3 month cycle) and leave new boxes in their place
At least 8 hours per month of your spare time will make a BIG difference - flexible to fit in with your lifestyle. We are looking for volunteers who will be available over the long term to build up contacts and relationships within their own community.
No experience is required as full support and training will be provided.
Personal qualities required - sociable, enthusiastic, self-motivated, reliable and good organisational skills. Access to a car is required when collecting and delivering boxes and out of pocket expenses will be reimbursed.